SPECIAL VACANCY NOTICE
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Project Assistant (Project Development &
3 months with possibility of extension
Reporting directly to
Overall supervision by
Chief of Mission
Directly reporting staff
II. ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager and under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for for the development of new programmes/projects and for providing advice and support on the Monitoring and Reporting aspects of all programmes for IOM Liberia, in line with donor’s expectations and requirements .
III. RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Act as focal point for the design and development of new programmes/projects in close coordination with the Chief of Mission, Regional Office, relevant programme managers, governmental authorities and international and regional institutions as well as partners’ organizations in public/private sector for the purposes project conceptualization and development.
- Research, write, formulate and present any documents necessary for project development, reporting, public information and donor liaison purposes.
- Conceptualize and design programmes based on result frameworks that respond to emerging trends and country and donor priorities.
- Act as IOM Liberia focal point and respond to inquiries from headquarters (HQs), Regional Office and other IOM Missions when related to project development.
- Assist in the development and strengthening of Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) systems within the Mission.
- Develop and update Results-based M&E frameworks and/or work plans for programmes if and when necessary.
- Provide support in the preparation, review and finalization of quarterly reports and annual report for the project;
- Provide regular monitoring support to assess level of implementation of the project, facilitate and/or take the needed action to keep project activities on course;
- Ensure best practices and lessons learnt are duly documented and reflected in appropriate reports and circulated among relevant partners and stakeholders.
- Undertake and oversee regular field monitoring and evaluation visits to ensure technical compliance and timely execution of projects vis-à-vis approved plans and baseline.
- Implement the process of monitoring targets and indicators using existing M&E frameworks and work plans for the programme as well as the individual partner projects.
- Consolidate and analyse inputs and data on programme implementation and indicators and prepare interim and final donor reports as well as mission, regional and Headquarters periodic and activity-specific reports, as may be required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Prepare and submit all required donor reports for ongoing projects during the assignment.
- Final project report for the Security Sector Reform Project (PB), by end of the assignment.
- Completion of all ongoing project development efforts by the end of the first two months of the assignment.
IV. COMPETENCIES (to be completed based on the IOM’s competency framework)
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following technical and behavioural competencies
Behavioural (applies to all job families, depending on seniority band)
- Creates a respectful office environment free of harassment and retaliation, and promotes the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA)
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism
- Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
- Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
- Monitors own work to correct errors
- Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
- Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients
- Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors, governments, and project beneficiaries
- Keeps clients informed of developments and setbacks
- Contributes to colleagues' learning
- Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
- Demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas
- Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area
- Actively shares relevant information
- Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures
- Writes clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience
- Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
Creativity and Initiative
- Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Expands responsibilities while maintaining existing ones
- Persuades others to consider new ideas
- Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
Leadership and Negotiation
- Convinces others to share resources
- Actively identifies opportunities for and promotes organizational change
- Presents goals as shared interests
- Articulates vision to motivate colleagues and follows through with commitments
- Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
- Identifies ways for their staff to develop their abilities and careers
- Provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
- Uses staff evaluations appropriately in recruitment and other relevant HR procedures
- Holds directly reporting managers accountable for providing fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
Planning and Organizing
- Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
- Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others
- Develops strategic vision for IOM within area of responsibility
- Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers
- Identifies risks and makes contingency plans
- Adjusts priorities and plans to achieve goals
- Allocates appropriate times and resources for own work and that of team members
- Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
- Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
- Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
- Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
- Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
- Displays availability outside of regular hours to respond to challenges
- Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions
- Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
- Contributes to, and follows team objectives
- Gives credit where credit is due
- Seeks input and feedback from others
- Delegates tasks and responsibilities as appropriate
- Actively supports and implements final group decisions
- Takes joint responsibility for team's work
- Learns about developments in available technology
- Proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
- Understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work
- Establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM needs
- Builds stable strategic alliances with relevant parties
Technical (specific to the job family )
- Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations;
- Effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners;
- Work effectively with local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries and the broader community to advance country or regional objectives.
V. EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE (specific to the category and (expected) level of the position )
- University Degree from an accredited academic institution preferably in social science, development planning, political science, business administration or related field.;
- Training in M & E development and implementation, information analysis and report writing;
VI. EXPERIENCE (specific to the category and (expected) level of the position )
- At least two years’ work experience (or four years for candidates with first level of university degree) in Monitoring and Evaluation;
- Ability to consolidate information from multiple sources;
- Ability to work with basic presentation software, e.g. Microsoft PowerPoint and Excel;
- Knowledge of Access and statistical analysis is a plus.
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions and NGOs;
- Knowledge or experience of regional issues an advantage.
▪ Fluentcy in English is required
Previous experience with IOM and knowledge of IOM rules and regulations is an advantage.
Knowledge of local vernacular languages
METHOD OF APPLICATION:
Submit applications’ cover letter and updated CVs, including daytime telephone or email address to Human Resources Department, International Organization for Migration (IOM) Monrovia, Liberia.
CLOSING DATE: COB 31th December 2018